Powerball numbers have been picked in the Nov. 7 drawing for a $1.9 billion jackpot. Photo: Niala Boodhoo/Axios
A ticket sold in California is the sole winner of the $2.04 billion Powerball jackpot — the world’s largest-ever lottery prize, according to the lottery officials.
Driving the news: The announcement of a winner comes after Monday’s Powerball drawing was delayed nearly 10 hours to “complete the required security protocols.”
- Both the April 9 and Oct. 19 Powerball drawings this year had similar delays.
- Some users on social media said the delay coming ahead of Election Day could be a sign of what to expect with Tuesday’s midterm elections results.
The big picture: The record jackpot increased to $2.04 billion from $1.9 billion, according to the drawing’s video.
- The cash option for the Nov. 7 drawing Increased to $997.6 million from the last estimate of $929.1 million, according to the Powerball website.
Flashback: Aug. 3 was the last time the Powerball jackpot was won and it rolled for three months and 40 times to become the largest-ever Powerball prize and world-record lottery jackpot ever.
Winning Powerball numbers for Monday’s drawing
The winning numbers were posted to the Powerball website and a recorded video to the lottery’s YouTube channel Tuesday morning instead of being broadcast live online and on television stations across the country Monday night.
- The numbers were 10, 33, 41, 47 and 56 with a red Powerball of 10.
Did anyone win record Powerball jackpot?
State of play: Aside from the one winning jackpot ticket, 22 tickets matched five numbers to win $1 million, Powerball said.
- One ticket in Florida won $2 million by matching all five white balls and including the Power Play option for an additional $1 per play.
- 225 tickets nationwide won a $50,000 prize and another 42 tickets won a $100,000 prize.
Powerball prizes: How much for matching numbers
By the numbers: Here are the prize amounts for matching numbers with and without the Powerball:
- Powerball: $4
- One number and Powerball: $4
- Two numbers and Powerball: $7
- Three numbers: $7
- Three numbers plus Powerball: $100
- Four numbers: $100
- Four numbers plus Powerball: $50,000
- Five numbers: $1 million
- Five numbers plus Powerball: Jackpot
Meanwhile, prize amounts are higher for players spending $1 extra for Power Play.
Powerball jackpot annuity option versus cash
How it works: Powerball jackpot winners can choose an “annuity option” instead of just taking the amount of money in the prize pool, Axios’ Felix Salmon reports.
- The annuity option is an annual payout over 30 years, with the sum paid out rising by 5% each year. The headline jackpot size is not the amount in the prize pool but rather the size of all those 30 payments, added together.
- No one has chosen the annuity option since 2014.
Powerball odds versus winning Mega Millions
Between the lines: Since the Powerball numbers are drawn from two sets of numbers, the lottery said the odds of winning a prize are calculated by combining the odds for both sets of numbers for all prize levels.
- The odds of winning the Powerball jackpot are 1 in 292.2 million.
- The overall odds of winning a prize are 1 in 24.9.
Yes, but: The jackpot odds for Mega Millions are 1 in 303 million.
Powerball ticket price
Powerball tickets are $2 per play but for an extra $1 per play you can add the Power Play feature to “multiply non-jackpot prizes by 2, 3, 4, 5 or 10 times.”
How to play Powerball lottery
Lottery players can pick six numbers from two separate pools of numbers — five different numbers from 1 to 69 (the white balls) and one number from 1 to 26 for the red Powerball.
- “Quick Pick” or “Easy Pick” tickets can also be purchased where numbers are selected automatically.
States to buy Powerball tickets
Powerball tickets are sold in 45 states, Washington, D.C., Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands.
- Alabama, Alaska, Hawaii, Nevada and Utah do not participate in the lottery.
Next Powerball drawing is Wednesday
Wednesday’s drawing is scheduled for 10: 59pm ET and will be broadcast on the Powerball website and television stations across the country from the Florida Lottery draw studio in Tallahassee.
- The Nov. 9 jackpot is an estimated $20 million with a cash value of $9.8 million, the Powerball website said.
- Drawings are held on Mondays, Wednesdays and Saturdays.
Editor’s note: This story has been updated throughout with new information.
More from Axios:
- Election Day brings food deals and freebies Tuesday
- Last total lunar eclipse until 2025 arrives early Tuesday
- Turkey shortage looming on bigger birds this Thanksgiving
- McDonald’s releases “Black Panther: Wakanda Forever” Happy Meal